Monday, November 17, 2008

Drew's Debut

I recently learned that one of the things that you must do when you have a new baby is to start a blog. I was unaware that this was a requirement of new parents, but apparently it is. Who knew that we were behind since we didn't begin his blog the minute the pregnancy test turned positive? So, here's some background on Drew. Andrew David Slaton was born August 20, 2008 weighing in at 6 pounds 9 ounces and 20 inches long. John and I are both ecstatic to have him as part of our world and this blog will chronicle some of the fun moments as Drew grows up and we try to figure out this parenting thing.


Drew's first photo:



The obligatory weigh-in picture. His poor face is pretty smashed up from delivery and is a little scary-looking. Not my favorite picture.



The moment I held Drew for the first time. I can't even describe the emotions, but it was like the world kind of fell away and the only thing was me and Drew.


Drew was born with good instincts, as evidenced by this photo. He grabbed a hold of my finger, and that was it. I am now permanently wrapped around his little finger. His poor hands are still blue from delivery, as this photo was taken when he was less than 5 minutes old.




We had lots of visitors the first day -- my parents and sister, John's mom, and lots of friends from church and college. The first couple of days were a whirlwind, and then we went home from the hospital. I think when we got in the car, John and I both felt like we were relieved to be going back to our comfortable home, but overwhelmed that life was forever changed.
My Mom -- SO excited to be a grandmother!
My Dad, who practically had to pry Drew from my Mom's arms.

John's Mom, who drove down from Oklahoma for the big event.

My sister Ash, who came straight from work and was nervous to hold a tiny, fragile baby but did great.

I'll post more later to catch you up on the last 12 weeks. We've had LOTS going on!

No comments: