Saturday, January 17, 2009

Busy Season

I know that people go through "seasons" of life, and clearly we are going through a busy one. Here is the latest update from here.
The day we got back from Amarillo, Ashley had tickets to a Dallas Mavericks game. These were tickets from one of her co-workers, and they were on row D. So we were 4 rows (and a few rows on the floor) away from the action. We could see the sweat on the players. We could hear what they were yelling at the referees (and realized why the refs don't wear microphones that could broadcast on TV.) The game was great, since the Mavs were up and down the whole time and finally won it at the end. We had a GREAT time and have volunteered to go with Ash anytime she needs someone to help her use these tickets.

I now in busy season, as I am every January-March. One of my clients has a super busy time the first couple weeks of January, and another client is swamped the end of February and beginning of March. So, I called in some reinforcements to help keep Drew the last couple of weeks. Last week my mom was here and this week John's mom is here. To top things off, John is doing his OB/GYN rotation right now, and he has been working the night shift this week. (Night shift = go in at 7-8 pm, get off at 7-8 am, stay for lecture until 10-11 am, come home and crash, wake up and start it all over again.)

I'm sure you can imagine that our stress level was a little high. Both working 12 hour days, plus not seeing your spouse for several days at a time will do that to you. And poor Drew got an ear infection. I'm not sure how he timed it to be during one of my busiest weeks of the year, but he sure did. The worst part (for me, at least) was that my sweet, sleeps-through-the-night baby turned into a crying monster who was up 3 or 4 times every night. So, two trips to the doctor later, he is feeling a bit better. He had been congested over Christmas and apparently his little ears didn't drain, so the infection kicked up. The doctor described it as "ugly" the first visit and "yucky" the second. (Gotta love pediatricians' vocabularies!) The first antibiotic didn't quite do the trick, but it looks like #2 is working. He is much happier, and thankfully has been only waking up once a night. I'm hoping that with some prayer, he'll ease back into his 9-hour sleeping routine.

So, other than the crazy work hours, the ear infection, and the family in town, it's been life as normal. John goes back on normal day shifts this week and hopefully I can go from 12-hour days to 10-hour days. Drew starts at "real" day care on Monday, so say prayers that everything goes well and he is able to handle the transition.

No comments: