Thursday, April 16, 2009

"Dada" wins!

Drew's been working on his first word for several weeks now. We've had lots of close calls, including a few "bababa" or "wawawa." We get a lot of "oooooh" but can't quite figure out how that was a word. Last Wednesday, I was supposed to go to the Rangers game with the folks at American and our team. So, John picked up Drew from day care for the evening. I got a call at around 6 o'clock, and John told me that Drew had a message to give me. He put it on speakerphone and I heard something that sounded suspiciously like "dada." Surely not, I thought. After all the time I've spent saying "mama" to Drew, which he somehow thinks is a funny word. I'm sure it was a fluke and he's really saying "mama" to me. A moment later, I heard it clear as a bell. "Dada." Then again - " Dada. Dada. Dada." He even giggled after saying it, like he and his Dada had played a funny trick on Mommy. I couldn't help but grin at hearing Drew's delight at figuring out a word.

Now for the good news - on Saturday, Drew was playing on the floor with all his toys and finally figured out how to say "mama." So he said "mama" nonstop for quite a while. Luckily, Dada was there to witness this equally momentous event. So now Drew has a great repertoire of two words. I tried to get him to say "I love Dada" and he really did try but it came out as "Ah oooh Dada." Almost there, kiddo! Keep up the hard work! Maybe by Mother's Day he'll be able to say, "Thanks, Mom, for everything you do around here. I love you."

No comments: