John gives me a hard time for the way I talk to Drew. I have given him a million nicknames, and am always adding to the list. Right now, he's called Drewby, Drewster (which could also be Drewster the Rooster), Pumpkin or Pumpkin-head (yes, his head does look like a pumpkin), Peanut, Noodle, Cranky Britches, and Smandrew. I should explain that Smandrew is Andrew's evil twin. Since Andrew is an angel, when he decides to pitch a fit, I know that's not my precious Andrew but must be a less angelic baby. That's where Smandrew comes in. He's the baby who gets fussy and mad, who pitches a fit when I leave him on his tummy for one second longer than he'd like, or who doesn't get to eat the second he decides he's hungry. It's my sweet Andrew who giggles and coos, reaches out to touch his toys or his Mommy's face, laughs at my silly songs, and talks to the baby in the mirror.
For those of you who don't spend much time around us, you must realize that I've inherited my mother's ability to talk. I can talk to Drewby without even realizing what I say (and sometimes I don't realize that I'm talking out loud). He loves to hear my voice and will smile at hearing it. So naturally I will talk a lot just to get those grins. They're priceless! I will admit that there have been a few funny moments in grocery stores where I was talking to Drew as I went down the aisles and got weird looks from other customers. Yes, I am talking to my 3-month old son, but I promise that those shoppers would rather have me talk to him and have him smile back than have me ignore him and have him decide to cry for attention. I've found recently that this ability to think out loud also translates to songs. Drew has heard me create Drew-inspired limericks, poems, and songs. Here's a sampling:
A limerick created when Drew screamed his way through a diaper change:
There once was a baby named Drew
Whose diaper was filled with some poo.
So he pitched a big fit
And off his Mom went...
Out the door, saying "Toodle dee doo"
He gets lots of variations on normal songs. Jesus loves the Little Children turns into Jesus Loves the Little Andrew, Jesus Loves the Little Mommy, Jesus Loves the Little Daddy, Jesus Loves the Little Sadie, and even Mommy Loves the Little Andrew. (Is it sacreligious to replace Jesus with Mommy? Feel free to weigh in, blog readers.)
This morning Drew heard a Mom-original song, to the tune of "Scooby Doo"
Drewby, Drewby, Drew
Mom loves you
It's time to wake up, baby.
You gotta eat your milk
And get you dressed,
So you can go play at Kelly's.
2025 Recap
8 months ago


No comments:
Post a Comment